Do you struggle with body positivity? I do; I have done for as long as I can remember. I see all the flaws and there are lots of them.
It’s time to change my attitude, to accept myself for who I am. My body is far from perfect but it’s mine. It has carried me through some of the toughest times imaginable, it has gone through five pregnancies, gifting me with my beautiful children; and now I want to appreciate it, to accept it, to live harmoniously with it. Those of you who follow me on Instagram and Facebook may have noticed I have been posting body positive quotes and images. I find them quite helpful; and if they can help even just one more person feel more positive about themselves, that can only be a good thing.
I have struggled for so long now, everyday I am fighting, fighting with myself and fighting with PCOS (PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome, a hormonal endocrine disorder that affects many women worldwide, there is no cure and it is extremely difficult to manage), fighting with my body. Enough is enough, the time has come to accept myself, love myself even; if I can at all.
The media, for all its wonderful points, it can be a real bitch can’t it?
We are forever being told how we should be exercising, what we should be eating, what we should weigh, how big our bums should be. It’s not always healthy, it’s not always helpful. I do not want my children growing up thinking their waist should only be as wide as an A4 page. Yes, we need to be healthy, without a doubt we do, but we also have to do what’s right for us.
Exercise is a very personal choice I think. I love to walk.For me it’s a wonderful form of exercise. I’m outdoors, inhaling copious amounts of fresh air, catching up with friends or enjoying some much-needed me time. I have neither the time, money or inclination for the gym or an exercise class; decent runners and the open road are perfect. It wouldn’t suit everyone, of course it wouldn’t; my own Mam loved to jog, that was her thing. We are all different and we shouldn’t be criticised or belittled for exercise choices; not for getting up and moving.
I am at a point where in my life where I eat healthier than I have ever done, I don’t deprive myself of anything but I am not reckless either and I feel so much better for it. What’s even better, I have seen the benefits (via blood testing) and visibly as a direct result of my diet. I listen to my body, if it doesn’t react well to a certain food, I don’t have it. I cannot eat take away food and haven’t done for many, many years now. I bake using alternatives to refined sugar as that stuff is not my friend. 80% of what I eat is purely for my health & wellbeing. The other 20% is red wine and dark chocolate, a saint I am not!!
Despite exercise and healthy eating, I am overweight. I am not under any illusions to anything different, I cannot hide it, it’s visible for all to see. I am constantly feeling embarrassed, ashamed, self-conscious and even with regard this blog, fraudulent – the woman who blogs healthy recipes, recommends eating less sugar and look at the size of her!- it’s always there, it is me. As always with this blog, I am keeping it real, keeping it honest.
And on that note, as for my bum……well I ain’t no Kim K but imagine if I could balance a second glass of wine on it….happy days!!
In all seriousness however, now, it is time for acceptance, for a more positive attitude, not just for me myself, but also my husband and especially my children.
The stretch marks? I’m a mother. The bingo wings? My arms used to be twice the size they are. The laughter lines? I can’t cry all the time. The tummy? That carried and nourished five beautiful babies. The short legs? Eh… I was born with them.
I am wearing my heart on my sleeve with this post. I am not promoting an unhealthy lifestyle and I don’t want it to be misconstrued as that, this is merely who I am. Please be kind.