Energy Balls! That’s what I’m talking about. I make energy balls almost every week, mostly nut free so they can go in the lunch boxes for school.
These ones do contain nuts however but it’s Christmas & that means pecans, one of my favourite nuts.
These are a food processor job and the mixture makes loads. I didn’t count them but each ball weighs 12grams, a good size for an energy ball.
170g Dates (presoak in hot water if they feel a bit hard)
120g Porridge Oats
60g Dried Cranberries
60g Pecan Nuts
2 Tbs Cacao Powder
1tsp Ground Ginger
1tsp Ground Cinnamon
Grated Zest of an Orange
120ml Apple Juice
Coconut for coating
- Add the dates and oats to the processor and blitz.
- Then add the cranberries & pecans, just hit the pulse button to bring them together.
- Sieve the cacao, ginger and cinnamon together before adding them along with the orange zest.
- Blitz everything again before adding the apple juice and blitzing one more time.
- Weigh and divide the mixture or just go by eye and roll walnut sized pieces in the palm of your hand and rolling in desiccated coconut to coat them.
- Store in the fridge for up to a week.
If you don’t like coconut, leave them naked or perhaps roll in cacao powder, sesame seed or very finely chopped nuts.
These are so delicious with a cup of coffee. They’d make a lovely Christmas gift for the food lover in your life.