Cereal bars are a handy addition to any lunch box, a great snack for that little break at 11am when the kids are hungry and feeling a little sluggish but it’s not yet lunchtime.
The cereal bars that adorn the supermarket shelves in their brightly coloured boxes are very expensive and really not very healthy, though I can assure you my own children would argue that if they’re called cereal bars they must be!
I try and make snacks for the children’s lunchboxes, though I do admit, the sugar laden, brightly packaged cereal bar has often been added when I haven’t had the time to have something else ready.
I made these bars today, very simple to throw together and ready in 30 minutes.
6 tablespoons of seeds of your choice
( I used 1tbsp Chia Seeds, 2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds, 1Tbsp Pumpkin Seeds, 2Tbsp Sunflower Seeds)
2 Ripe Bananas
100g Porridge Oats
50g Milled Linseed
100g Mixed Nuts or Dried Fruit (Dark Chocolate Chips could also be used)
3 Tbsp Honey
- Preheat oven to 180 C Place some baking parchment in a small baking tin
- Mash the bananas and add in the other dry ingredients
- Melt the butter and honey together, then mix into the rest of the ingredients
- Tip the mixture into your tin, and smooth it out
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin
- Once cooled, remove in the parchment and cut into squares or bars, whatever size you wish
I’d love to say these were a complete hit with my children, Chloe thought they were ‘ok’, Caoimhe liked them, Jack didn’t, Abbie & Harry loved them!