My small girl loves many things. She loves spending time, one on one with me. This is important to her, as are cookies. She loves a delicious cookie. Baking is a firm favourite too. So, when we had a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon recently, we combined these three loves. Needless to say, she was thrilled.
We made these simple little cookies, similar in texture to shortbread, though softer I would say.They’re quite crumbly.
Little Miss loves strawberry jam, so we added that too. I told her the finished result reminded me of giant Jammy Dodgers. With this in mind, she named them Jammy Trickers!
Ingredients – Makes 10
200g Butter softened
200g Plain Flour sifted
75g Ground Almonds
60g Caster Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
10 tsp Strawberry Jam
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat together the butter and sugar, then beat in the egg.
- Add in the flour and ground almonds and bring together. You can do this with the mixer too.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and rest in the fridge for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 160(fan) and prepare a cookie sheet by either dusting with flour or line with parchment paper.
- I weigh the dough and divide equally. This ensures an even bake.
- Roll the divided pieces into balls and flatten slightly between the palms of your hands. (perfect job for small people.
- Using the back of a teaspoon, make a dent in each cookie. Fill this with a spoon of your favourite jam.
- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes, allow them to cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Dust the cookies with icing sugar for that added touch.
These cookies are such a treat. They were a big hit with the Simply Homemade crew and Little Miss was extremely proud of herself. Be sure to check out other baking recipes while you’re here.