Mr. S/H & I don’t go mad celebrating Valentines Day, he plays it well, sure isn’t every day Valentines Day married to me…he’s smooth, I’ll give him that!
However, I do think it’s nice to make an effort when the children produce little cards and gifts that they have spent time lovingly creating.
So with that thought in mind, my little Mini Chef and I set about making some chocolates for everybody. These are super easy and something everyone can get involved in.
We made three different types of chocolate; Fruit & Nut-chopped hazelnuts & raisins, Chocolate Orange-orange zest & cacao nibs and Salted Almond-Chopped Almonds & Sea Salt (these ones were for the grown ups!)
Break 125g 85% cocoa chocolate into a bowl over a pan of simmering water and melt it slowly. Once all of the chocolate has melted, using a dessert spoon drop spoonfuls of the chocolate onto the lined tray. We made 9 large chocolates, by all means feel free to make smaller chocolates and therefore more of them!
Let little hands top the chocolates with the various flavourings and then leave them to set on the fridge.
These could not be more simple to make. Little Miss Abbie was thrilled with her efforts and couldn’t wait to give these to her Daddy, naturally I reminded her that she is her Mama’s best girl (her sister’s weren’t here!) and ya know, if she wanted to share them with me too that would be fine!! LOL 😉
With the chocolate making going so well we figured we may as well up our game, get Harry on board and make some cookies.
I’m not quite sure how I would describe this adventure, Abbie is almost three and LOVES donning her apron and carrying out the little baking tasks I set her. Harry is almost two, he also loves getting his apron on for ‘baking Mam’ . When it comes to the tasks at hand however, he tends to do the opposite, much to Abbie’s annoyance.
On the plus side, we knew these cookies would be a hit, as he was devouring the dough!!
Valentine’s Day Cookies
200g Softened Butter
100g Coconut Sugar
Grated zest of one Orange
1 Large Egg, beaten
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
300g Plain Spelt Flour
- Beat together the butter, coconut sugar and orange zest until pale and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract, a little at a time, beating after each addition.
- Gradually fold in the flour with a large metal spoon until it is all incorporated and a dough forms.
- Wrap the cookie dough in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Fan 180c and line a cookie sheet/baking tray with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out on a lightly floured surface. Cut out your chosen shapes, hearts in this instance, and place on the baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
- Once cooled you could decorate these with some icing, melted chocolate or even sandwich together with some chocolate spread.
Or like me, you could be grateful to have gotten out of this particular ‘baking with toddlers’ morning in one piece and declare the wonderful Valentines Day cookies fabulous, reassure the Mini Chef that yes Daddy will love them and stop the Baker Boy dragging a chair to the cooling rack everytime he thinks you’re not looking!
Have you any plans with the little loves of your life this Valentines Day?