My children all eat meatballs, they love them. Mr. Simply Homemade eats meatballs too, he really enjoys them. Me? Oh you know, I can’t bear them!! Seriously, I can’t, I really don’t like them at all. However, the joy at having a meal that all the children will eat means I cook them regularly enough for them.
400g Minced Beef, as lean as you can get
1 large Carrot, finely grated
1 Onion, finely chopped
Salt & Pepper
1 Tbsp Rapeseed Oil
Five A Day Sauce (Or your own tomato sauce)
Spaghetti to serve.
*There is no need to buy breadcrumbs, keep odds and ends from bread you have already and blitz it in the food processor.
- I make these in the food processor. You can make them by hand but that does mean getting your hands right in there and squishing everything together.
- Firstly add the breadcrumbs, carrot, onion & seasoning to the processor and blitz until it comes together.
- Feed the beef in a little at a time with the motor running. I find doing it this way means everything is evenly distributed.
- When the mixture has all come together it’s time to make the meatballs. What I do, is weigh the mixture and divide it up so I have an equal sized meatballs that will all cook the same. You can just roll golf ball sized pieces of the mixture together without the weighing.
- Heat the tomato sauce in a large pan. When you put the sauce on, heat a large frying pan and add the rapeseed oil. Cook off the meatballs, just long enough to brown them, then transfer them to the pot with the tomato sauce. When they have all been added, leave to simmer for 30 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile cook the spaghetti according to pack instructions.
- When the spaghetti has cooked, drain it, add it back to the saucepan, then add the meatballs and tomato sauce. Mix everything well ensuring the spaghetti is coated in the sauce.
- Dish up to hungry children and watch as they enjoy every mouthful.
A sprinkling of parmesan and a side order of garlic bread always goes down a treat too.