It’s ages since I made fishcakes and really fancied some. I knew I had a recipe hidden in the depths of the blog from many moons ago, so I hauled it out and gave it a few tweaks.
Thai Style Fish Cakes & Chilli Sauce – Serves 4
1 Red Onion, finely chopped
3 Red Chillies, deseeded & finely chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed or grated
2tsp Fish Sauce
50 ml water
Zest & juice of 1 limes
Good bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
25g cucumber, finely chopped
400g White fish (such as cod, which is what we had), skinned, boned & roughly chopped
1 Tbsp Thai red curry paste
50g Green Beans, finely chopped
1 tsp Honey
3 tsp Fish Sauce
Zest & Juice one lime
Bunch coriander, chopped
1 medium egg, beaten
- Add a splash of water to a pan (use oil if you prefer) and cook the onion, chillies, and garlic until soft. Add the honey, fish sauce and water. Simmer for a few minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- When it has cooled, add the lime juice, zest, and coriander. Mix well and set aside.
- Next, prepare the fish cakes. Place the fish, fish sauce, curry paste, green beans, honey, coriander, and lime in the processor and process until you have a thick paste.
- Remove from the processor & stir in the beaten egg. Using your hands, form the fish cakes about 4cm in diameter.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan & fry the fishcakes for about 2 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Serve immediately with the chilli sauce for dipping.
These are delicious served with a side salad for lunch. They’d also make a lovely starter if you were cooking a nice meal for a special occasion. For more delicious lunch ideas, stay around and have a browse.