4 Medium Eggs
185g Caster Sugar
50g Plain Flour
50g Self Raising Flour
50g Corn flour
Couple of drops Vanilla Extract or grated Orange Rind (I used vanilla)
1. Grease & line 2 8” sandwich tins & pre heat the oven to 180 C/350 F/GM 4
2. Sieve the flour & corn flour together 2 or 3 times to mix & aerate it.
3. Whisk the eggs until frothy, gradually add the caster sugar & continue whisking until the mixture will hold tails from the beater.
4. Add the vanilla or orange & fold in the sieved flour mixture, lightly but evenly.
5. Divide between the two tins & bake for approx 20 minutes until firm to the touch & beginning to shrink away from the sides of the tins.
About a tablespoon of Jam (I used strawberry)
For the butter cream
200g Sieved Icing Sugar
1-2 teaspoons hot water
Flavouring to taste ( I used lemon)
1. Cream the butter until very soft
2. Gradually add icing sugar, hot water & flavouring.
3. Spread the jam on the bottom half of the cake. Spread some of the butter cream across the top half, reserving some for the sides of the cake.
4. Sandwich the top & bottom together.
The Sides & Top of the Cake
100g Grated Chocolate
Coat the sides of the cake in butter cream, reserving a little bit to pipe around the top of the cake. Then roll the cake in in the grated chocolate.
100g Sieved Icing Sugar
½ teaspoon Butter
2 teaspoons hot water
A few drops of Yellow Food Colouring
Mix up the icing, adding more water if necessary but keeping it quite thick. Spread over the top of the cake and pipe the remaining butter cream around the edge of the cake.