Ingredients – Makes 12
2 Egg Whites, beaten until stiff
125g Softened Butter
125g Caster Sugar
Grated Zest & the juice of one lemon (keep back 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice for the butter icing)
125g Self Raising Flour
For the Butter Icing
There are many recipes out there for butter icing, I however don’t actually follow any recipe, I simply add twice the amount of icing sugar to the amount of butter I have and then add whatever flavour I want. For these cakes I used the following:
50g Softened Butter
100g Icing Sugar
2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
1. Preheat oven to 190C & line a 12 hole muffin tray with cases
2.Whisk the egg whites until stiff and set aside
3. Beat the butter for a minute to break it down, add the sugar & continue beating until the mix is light & fluffy.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing briefly after each addition, add the lemon zest & juice, mix enough to incorporate.
5. Slowly add the flour & continue to mix until the cake mixture is smooth & creamy.
6. Fold in the egg white.
7. Bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
While the cakes are cooling prepare your butter icing by beating the butter to break it down, then beating in the icing sugar a tablespoon at a time, making sure the icing sugar is well incorporated. Finally, mix in the lemon juice. Taste your butter icing & make sure you are happy with the flavour. Ensure your cakes are cold before applying the icing.
|Lovely Little Lemon Cakes|
The result of this was a wonderfully soft, light and slightly moist little cake. I’m delighted with it and will definitely make them again. I think they would be just as delicious if made with oranges, or even a combination of both!
|Simply Homemade – Simply Yummy!|
‘Copyright © Simply Homemade 2011’