Ingredients – Makes 12
2 Apples, peeled & cut into bite size pieces
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
2 Egg Whites, beaten until stiff
125g Softened Butter
125g Caster Sugar
2 Tbsp Milk
125g Self Raising Flour
For the Cinnamon Butter Icing
50g Softened Butter
100g Icing Sugar
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 tablespoon Milk
1. Preheat oven to 190C & line a 12 hole muffin tray with cases
2. Add the chopped apple, brown sugar, cloves and a tablespoon of water to a saucepan. Bring to the boil, cover & simmer for 5-10 minutes until the apples are soft and still holding their shapes. You don’t want to stew them. Remove the cloves, transfer to a bowl & set aside to cool.
3.Whisk the egg whites until stiff and set aside
4. Beat the butter for a minute to break it down, add the sugar & continue beating until the mix is light & fluffy.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing briefly after each addition, add the milk & mix enough to incorporate.
6. Slowly add the flour & continue to mix until the cake mixture is smooth & creamy.
7. Fold in the apple pieces, then the egg white.
8. Bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
While the cakes are cooling prepare your butter icing by beating the butter to break it down, then beating in the icing sugar a tablespoon at a time, making sure the icing sugar is well incorporated. Finally, add the cinnamon & milk and mix well. Taste your icing sugar & make sure you are happy with the flavour. Ensure your cakes are cold before applying the icing.