The children all have some very important jobs that need to be carried out on Christmas Eve. One is sprinkling special reindeer food in the garden that sparkles so that the reindeer can see it from the moonlit sky; another is hanging a ‘magic’ Key on the Christmas tree outside so Santa can get in to deliver the gifts as we don’t have an open fireplace and of course it is imperative we leave a nice plate of cookies with milk for Santa & clementines for Rudolph, (it used to be a nice big carrot until we learned that carrots gave reindeer dreadful wind which isn’t good for Santa or the environment!!)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/GM 4 and line two baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the ground almonds, sugar, egg, almond extract and 1tbsp cold water to form a dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface, roll out thinly and cut out star shapes, re roll the leftover dough and cut out some more, repeat until you have used all of the dough.
- Arrange the stars on the baking sheets and bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly coloured at the edges, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Despite the children being less than enthusiastic, I can assure you, these are delicious.