Christmas is fast approaching and as a follower of the wonderful blog, Stuff I Make, Bake, Love, the one thing I was hoping for was a copy of Lilly Higgin’s, Make Bake Love, however, having read so many positive reviews about this book, and seen so many pictures of the beautiful images contained between the covers, I simply couldn’t wait until Christmas and so, I bought it.
It is a beautiful book, crammed full of mouth watering recipes and stunning images of the most delicious home baked goodies.
Eager to bake something from this book straight away, before going to bed last night I left the book open on the Spiced Sultana Bread recipe and this was in the oven in time for breakfast this morning 🙂
130g Wholemeal flour
50g Plain flour
75g Demerara sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice (I used mixed spice)
75ml Sunflower oil
1 tsp Vanilla essence
* Pre heat the oven to 180C. Grease and flour a 1lb loaf tin.
* Place the flours, sugar, baking powder, mixed spice and a pinch of salt into a large bowl.
* Beat the egg in a jug, then add the milk, oil and vanilla.
* Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined, then stir through the sultanas.
* Transfer to the tin and bake for 35-40 minutes.
The smell that filled the house as this bread was baking was fabulously warm and spicy and considering the time of year it is, a loaf of this in the oven is a lovely way to wake your family!
If you haven’t got your hands on a copy of this book yet, you can get it here. I would highly recommend it as a gift for yourself or a fellow baking enthusiast.