Before I start, I would like to wish you all a very happy & healthy new year, may 2012 be all you want it to be and more.
I’m determined to get my 2012 off to a healthy start and what better way to start than by re-creating the Health Loaf from Lilly Higgins
beautiful book, Make, Bake Love.
I love brown bread but I’ve been struggling with it a bit throughout my pregnancy, it doesn’t always seem to ‘sit well’ with me after I’ve eaten which has been frustrating to say the least, but determined to ditch the white bread in favour of something more favourable I’ve decided to give this a go, and after over-over indulging at Christmas I need this healthy loaf!
150g Wholemeal flour
50g Plain flour
50g Chopped Nuts (Almonds, hazelnuts, pecan, brazil will all work well)
50g Sunflower seeds
50g Sesame seeds
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Bread soda
1 tsp Salt
75ml Sunflower oil
* Pre heat the oven to 180C. Grease and flour a 1lb loaf tin.
* Place the flours, nuts, seeds, baking powder, bread soda and salt into a large bowl and stir to combine.
* Beat the egg in a jug, then add the buttermilk and oil.
* Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
* Transfer to the tin and bake for 50-60 minutes.
I am hugely impressed with this loaf, having sampled some at tea time, I am now looking forward to a nice healthy start to my morning.