This recipe for Lemon Cupcakes is adapted from The Hummingbird Bakery, Cupcakes and Muffins book.
I love all things lemon and these are packed full of that distinctive lemon flavour.
For the Buttercream Frosting:
80g Softened Butter
160g Icing Sugar
4-5 teaspoons Lemon Juice
Good quality Lemon Curd for the filling
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/325F & line a 12 cup muffin tin with cases
2. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest & butter in a freestanding mixer and beat on slow until you get a sandy consistency. Gradually pour in the milk and beat until everything is just incorporated.
3. Add the egg to the flour mixture and continue beating until everything is incorporated and the mix is smooth.
4. Spoon the mixture into the cupcakes cases until two thirds full and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack.
5. To prepare the butter cream simply combine the butter, icing sugar and lemon juice and beat well, a good five minutes after it has being combined so you will have a nice fluffy butter cream.
6. To assemble your cakes, cut a piece out of the centre of each cake using a teaspoon and then add a teaspoon of your lemon curd to the cake, top with the butter cream, either pipe it or simply spoon it on, giving your own finish.
These cakes are simply delicious and wonderful with afternoon tea.