These Strawberries & Cream cupcakes are from the lovely book, Cupcakes from The Primrose Bakery, though I prefer to use my own recipe for buttercream.
225g Caster Sugar
210g Self Raising Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
125g Fresh Strawberries, hulled and crushed
225g Butter, softened
4 Large Eggs
For the Buttercream Frosting
80g Softened Butter
160g Icing Sugar
2-3 Tbsp Milk
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
Good quality Strawberry Jam for the filling, 1 teaspoon per cupcake , I used the beautiful No Added Sugar Strawberry Jam from Folláin.
6 Large or 12 Small Strawberries
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/350F & line a 12 cup muffin tin with cases
2. Cream the butter and sugar together, beat in the eggs one at a time, add the remaining ingredients and beat well together.
3. Carefully spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, filling them about two thirds full. Bake for about 25 minutes.
4. Cool in the tin for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
5. To prepare the butter cream simply combine the butter, icing sugar, milk and vanilla extract and beat well, a good five minutes after it has being combined so you will have a nice fluffy butter cream.
6. To assemble your cakes, cut a piece out of the centre of each cake using a teaspoon and then add a teaspoon of strawberry jam to the cake, you can warm the jam slightly to soften it should you need to.
7. Decorate the cupcakes with the butter cream and place a fresh strawberry in the centre.
Summer on a plate 🙂