Whilst flicking through cookbooks this morning before getting stuck into a day of bread making, I decided I’d add the Apricot & Walnut Bread from Tana Ramsay’s, Real Family Food, to my list.
On closer inspection of the cupboard though I realised I didn’t quite have everything I needed but I’m not one to let a few missing ingredients deter me from making something so a few alterations were made and two delicious fruit loaves were still produced.
250g Dried Apricots, roughly chopped* (250g apricots & prunes)
1 Earl Grey Teabag* (2 Lemon & Ginger Teabags)
75g Oats, plus 2 tbsp extra for sprinkling
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
150g Golden Caster Sugar
500g Self Raising Flour
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
100g Walnut pieces* (50g Hazelnuts/50g Sunflower Seeds)
- Preheat oven to 170 C Prepare 2 2lb loaf tins
- Put the dried fruit, tea bag and water into a small saucepan and bring to the boil, simmer very gently for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and remove the teabag. Stir in the first quantity of oats before covering with a lid. Allow to cool.
- Beat together the eggs and sugar.
- Sieve the flower, salt and baking powder together before adding to the egg mixture with the mixer on its lowest setting. Add the cooled apricot mixture and milk and continue to mix until completely combined.
- Fold in the nuts with a metal spoon
- Spoon into the loaf tins, sprinkle with the remaining oats and bake in the oven for 1-1 ¼ hours.
Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack.
This bread went down a treat with the littlest man and his Daddy, between them the devoured half a loaf before dinner!!