I love Autumn, for me it signals the start of soup season 🙂 We have copious amounts of soup over the Autumn/Winter months, it’s so versatile, super nutritious and, if you’ve got fussy children, a bowl of blended vegetable soup is perfect, fill them full of vitamins and minerals without them even realising it. Stuck for an evening meal for children coming in from school, soup and a club sandwich, we often have this, my children aren’t stew children, so this is a compromise of sorts.
I get many requests from friends for soup recipes, so this year, I hope to share lots of them here on Simply Homemade, starting with this one, a delicious, smooth Butternut Squash soup served with a Sourdough Crouton.
We love Sourdough Bread, I’ve yet to attempt my own, so we buy ours from the super Pettit’s Supervalu here in Wexford. The Sourdough Bread sold here is baked daily by Declan & his team, he was once better known as the Breadwinner Bakery and his breads are divine!
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH SOURDOUGH CROUTON
1 Onion, peeled and sliced
1 big Garlic Clove, finely sliced
1 litre Vegetable Stock
1 tbsp Rapeseed Oil
Pinch dried Chilli Flakes
Sliced Sourdough x4
1 tblsp Butter
1 crushed Garlic Clove
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a low heat, add the onion and sweat until translucent
- Add the squash and garlic, mix it up and pour over the stock
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the squash is cooked
- Add the crushed chilli flakes and blend until you have a velvety smooth soup.
- Pre heat the oven to 200C, put a baking tray in to heat
- For 4 Sourdough Croutons prepare the garlic butter by adding the crushed garlic and parsley to the butter and mixing well.
- Spread the slices of sourdough with the garlic butter and top with the grated parmesan
- Place on the hot tray and bake in the top of the oven for 5-10 minutes
- Serve alongside the soup and enjoy a delicious, comforting lunch