We’re still making great efforts to continue with #betterbreakfasts in the Simply Homemade home. I find having things made in advance a huge help and at this stage, more than halfway through the year, I’m delighted with the progress we’ve made.
This breakfast loaf is quick to throw together. I bake it the night before and it’s just a matter of slicing it in the morning and it’s ready.
110g Ground Almonds
65g Oat Flour (blitzed porridge oats)
25g Coconut Flour
1 tsp Bread Soda
1 tsp Cinnamon
30g Chopped Hazelnuts
1 1/2 Mashed Bananas (keep the remaining half to top the loaf)
2 Eggs, separated
- Preheat the oven to 160 and prepare a loaf tin, either grease and line or use a loaf tin liner (very convenient!)
- In one bowl combine the ground almonds, oat flour, coconut flour, bread soda, cinnamon, salt and hazelnuts.
- In another bowl whisk together the banana, honey and egg yolks. Whisk the egg whites separately until stiff.
- Pour the banana mixture into the flours and combine well. Then fold the egg whites into the bread mixture.
- Spoon the bread mix into the loaf tin. Cut the remaining banana into slices or what my children call ‘banana pennies’ and place them on top.
Bake in the centre of the oven for 35 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
They all enjoyed it but did ask if they could have some chocolate spread on it the next time!! I don’t buy chocolate spread, instead I mix a little cacao and maple syrup with some almond butter. Quick, simple, low in sugar; and the children all enjoy it.