Netflix have asked us to get creative and share some movie time culinary delights with you all. We don’t need asking twice, we love a good movie night and of course we love our food.
I have three movie night options for you; savoury, sweet and a fun snack, along with the movie that inspired them and some alternative movie suggestions.
Sticky Chicken Drumsticks with a Cool Dipping Sauce
Chicken Drumsticks (I used two kilos for 7 of us)
For the marinade
3 Tbsp Honey
3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Rapeseed Oil
2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1/2-1Tbsp Sriracha (Regular chilli sauce will work fine if you cannot get/don’t have Sriracha)
Juice of one lime
1 Garlic clove crushed or grated
- Prepare the drumsticks by removing the skin (optional) and slashing them once or twice, then add them to a large dish.
- In a seperate bowl combine all of the marinade ingredients and whisk them together.
- Pour the marinade over the drumsticks, making sure they get a good coating.
- Cover them with cling film or the lid of your dish if you have one and leave them in the fridge for a few hours. (If you don’t have time to do this, skip this bit and move onto cooking them)
- Take the drumsticks from the fridge and preheat the oven at 160 fan (180 conventional.
- Place the drumsticks in a roasting tray, pour the marinade from the bottom of the dish over, cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Then remove the foil and place back in the oven for a further 15 minutes.
Cool Dipping Sauce
200g Greek Style Yogurt
Juice of half a Lemon
Chopped Mint & Coriander
Salt & Pepper
There is no real method, combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mix really well, taste and make any adjustments to the seasoning you feel it needs. This can be made in advance and stored in the fridge.
Grab your food and family, switch on Netflix and enjoy!
Alternative movie suggestions to enjoy with your finger lickin’snacks.
Alright, so this is a bit obvious. It is a movie I have enjoyed on a number of occasions now though. It is also a movie that you cannot possible sit through without chocolate of some description.
This snack so to speak provides you with that luxurious chocolate hit. There’s no weighing or measuring, throw everything together and voila….instant gratification. Another thing with this is it is suitable for all the romantic movies, the tearjerkers and the just plain lovely ones. There’s just enough to share or plenty if you just want some sheer, solitary indulgence.
I give you……
Chocolate Mug Cake
1 Tbsp Plain Flour
1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
1/4 tsp (pinch) Baking Powder
2 Squares broken Chocolate (I use the Lidl JD Gross one, 2 squares is around 25g)
1 Tbsp Honey
3 Tbsp Milk
- Add the dry ingredients to a mug and stir to combine.
- In a separate cup whisk the wet ingredients together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, mix thoroughly and microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds (my microwave is 700w)
That’s it! Eat straight from the mug or tip onto a plate and add a dollop of ice cream, yogurt or cream; whatever takes your fancy is what works here. Dim the lights, light your candles, grab a cosy blanket and put your movie of choice on.
Alternative suggestions that need chocolate.
It would be remiss of me to do movie snacks in October and not include something relative to Halloween, so with lots of help from Jack, I give you…Monster Eyes!
White Chocolate (125g bar, I used the Madagascan Vanilla one from Aldi)
Dark/Milk chocolate (just a square)
Smarties or similar sweets
- Make popcorn according to pack instructions.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over hot water.
- Pour the chocolate over the popcorn and mix it well.
- Add spoonfuls of the popcorn & chocolate mixture to miniature muffin cases and pop them in the freezer to set.
- Melt a square of dark or milk chocolate and use this as a glue to add a smartie to the centre of each ‘eyeball’
Jack was very proud of these and they were a real treat for everyone as we tucked into some Halloween viewing on Netflix.
As a member of the Netflix Ireland Stream Team I have received complimentary Netflix membership and in return will be featuring Netflix related blog posts. All opinions are my own!