This recipe is adapted from one I have made before, however, I have reduced the sweetener and changed the frosting, using ganache here instead. The result is a soft, indulgent cake that just demands to be savoured.
1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
150g Plain Flour
35g Cocoa Powder
50g Chocolate Chips
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Bread Soda
100ml Maple Syrup
70g Butter, melted
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
for the ganache
125g Dark Chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 170C (fan) and line a muffin tin with cases.
- Add the vinegar to the buttermilk and set aside.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bread soda together into a large bowl.
- Add in the chocolate chips.
- Add the maple syrup, melted butter and vanilla to the buttermilk and whisk together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together well, ensuring everything is well incorporated.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases and bake for 20 minutes approximately.
- Cool the cakes on a wire rack and make the ganache.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Whisk in the cream, the mixture will thicken. Pipe or spoon ganache over each of the cupcakes.
These little cakes are super quick to throw together, you don’t even need to fetch the mixer from the press. A bowl and spoon do the job perfectly.
The cakes are perfect with a nice cuppa and a friend to share them. They would also make a delicious gift for Valentines Day or any day.