It would very understandable if you were to dismiss the idea of waffles for breakfast, particularly on a busy weekday morning. They really needn’t take too long though. Waffle batter can be made the night before and stored in the fridge. Take it out and leave it sit as the waffle maker heats up.
Some waffle batters require another drop of milk when they’ve been sitting in the fridge overnight. This one doesn’t, it’s good to go as soon as the waffle iron is hot.
This recipe includes apple sauce or stewed apple, I make this occasionally and keep it in the fridge, though you can buy jars of apple sauce in the supermarket. It is super easy to make. Chop apples (I use a kilo for two small jars) Add a couple of tablespoons of water, a teaspoon of vanilla extract and pinch of cinnamon to a saucepan with the apple, bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes. I blend the apples, though you could keep it chunky if you prefer.
Carrot Cake Waffles, Serves 2
145g Wholemeal Flour
½ tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Cinnamon
150ml Milk, of your choice
65g Apple Sauce
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Carrot, grated
- Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and sultanas to a bowl and mix together.
- In a separate bowl/jug, whisk together the milk, apple sauce, egg and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients and the carrot into the dry and whisk together.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of the batter per waffle to you maker.
- I cook them for 5-6 minutes, however, I’m sure waffle makers vary, so go by what you know your own to be like.
- These are delicious served with maple syrup and chopped walnuts.
If you did have time, candied walnuts would be extra tasty. Add a handful of walnuts to a pan with some maple syrup, toss the walnuts, coating them in the syrup as it heats. As they caramelise, remove from the pan again. Don’t touch them for a minute or two as they will be super hot!
Waffle toppings are great to experiment with. For meat-eaters, some bacon and maple syrup would be a real treat. Greek yogurt and honey are also delicious. These really are like dessert for breakfast.
There are lots more breakfast ideas on the blog for your perusal. Let me know if you make these waffles. You are very welcome to tag me on Instagram to show me your creation.