One cannot possible have a fairy party without including ‘Fairy Cakes’, I did make these cakes last year, however I have made some slight little changes to the recipe this year with much more pleasing results.
50g Plain Flour
50g Ground Almonds
1 Tsp Baking Powder
100g Butter, softened
Grated Zest of one Lemon
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
For the top
150g Mascarpone Cheese
1 Tbsp Honey
Grated Lemon Zest
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160fan/GM 4 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cases.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together, then mix with the ground almonds.
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until fluffy, add a spoonful of the flour mix, followed by an egg. Whisk well and repeat the process with the second egg.
- Fold in the remaining flour/almond mix. Add the honey, lemon zest and juice.
- Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for 15-20 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare the topping, mix the mascarpone with the honey and lemon zest.
- Once the cakes are fully cooled, make the fairy wings by cutting a round from the top of each cake and cut it in half. Fill the hollow with the cream cheese frosting, then place the wings on top at an angle.
- Finish by scattering some pretty sprinkles on the cakes. *Feel free to leave the sprinkles off if these are being made for someone other than a little fairy!
These are delicious little cakes, packed full of zesty lemon with a whisper of sweetness. I highly recommend you try them and I would love to hear what you think of them if you do.