Sometimes, particularly when we are picking our battles wisely, we have to admit defeat and accept that our children will just not do what we want them too……in this instance I’m talking about them
not eating a wide variety of vegetables….it just isn’t happening. Harry in fairness is pretty good, the rest…oh the rest…’tis like mission impossible!
So, I’ve decided to become a tad shrewd with the Simply Homemade offspring, though they may be cottoning on, they are looking at me in wonderment when I tell them, ‘sure if you don’t like the carrots don’t worry, here have a brownie instead’!!
Don’t panic!! I’m not forcing them to scoff sugar laden treats as a reward for the lack of veggies on their plates, no, the brownies I’m referring to can be found over at The Nest, I made them using butternut squash and watched gleefully as the children unknowingly devoured avocado and butternut squash in one sitting!
I had some squash puree left over from the brownies (to make squash puree, peel the squash, cut into chunks, dot with butter and roast for 50-60 minutes at 180, cool and puree) and with a little bit of googling found an inspiring recipe here, a few minor changes and I had a delicious loaf cake, which they little loves of my life assumed was ‘just’ banana bread 😉
(Don’t tell the kids) Butternut Squash and Banana Loaf
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
50g Walnuts, chopped
75g Brown Rice Syrup
1 Large Egg, beaten
1 Banana, mashed
225g Butternut Squash Puree
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and pecans to a bowl and stir together.
- In a small saucepan, melt together the butter and brown rice syrup.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the butter & syrup, the beaten egg, banana and squash puree, mix them together thoroughly.
- Add the mixture to the loaf tin and bake for 40-50 minutes, you’ll know it’s cooked when a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Add some lovely, nutritious butter and serve up to some unsuspecting children!