Cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg are all beautiful, warming spices. They go hand in hand with winter in my opinion and I love adding them to bakes that just ooze comfort.
Added to these scones which are then iced with vanilla icing, this is sheer pleasure on your palate.
250g Plain Flour
1½ tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Cinnamon
½ tsp Ginger
25g Caster Sugar
100g Icing Sugar
1½ Tbsp Milk
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 200C and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a dusting of flour.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg into a large bowl.
- Add the sugar and give it a stir.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips.
- Beat the milk and egg together, then add to the dry ingredients. Bring the dough together. If it seems too wet, add more flour.
- Pat the dough out on a floured surface and cut out your scones using a cutter. I used a small one and got 10 scones.
- Bake the scones for 15 minutes and cool on a wire rack.
- As the scones cool, prepare the icing. Whisk the icing sugar, milk and vanilla together. Then add teaspoonfuls of icing to the scones.
These scones are so light and delicious. We had them without butter or cream, the icing was enough. They are delicious enjoyed with a cuppa by the fire, fairy lights twinkling.
Have a wander through more Christmas recipes here.