Mulled wine is synonymous with Christmas. The scent and warmth from this delicious spiced drink evoke all the festive feelings bringing the spirit of the season alive for another year.
In our house, the evening the tree goes up, following a visit to Santa and as we potter about the kitchen on Christmas Eve are just some of the times the aroma of mulled wine wraps itself around our home.
2-3 Tbsp Sugar of your choice (I use coconut sugar)
1 Orange/2-3 Clementines, sliced
1 Lemon Sliced
1-2 Tbsp Whole Cloves
2 Cinnamon Sticks
2-3 Star Anise
1 Bottle of Red Wine
100ml Rum or Brandy
- Add the sugar, orange & lemon slices and your spices to a saucepan with 300ml water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for an hour at least. Leave it longer if you have time. You could also make it in advance, in the morning or day before perhaps and set it to one side after an hour simmering. This time allows the flavours to develop.
- When you are ready to prepare your wine, strain the liquid and add it to a saucepan along with the wine and brandy.
- Heat slowly and be careful not to bring it to the boil (unless you don’t mind the alcohol evaporating)
- Your kitchen will smell amazing!
Serve your mulled wine in teacups or glasses, take a moment to enjoy its warmth and enjoy this little ritual.
Have a wander through more Christmas recipes here.